Income Tax Deadline Extension
Posted on March 18 2020
As of March 18, 2020, the Federal Government has announced that:
- Canadians will have until June 1, 2020 to file their tax returns.
- The deadline to pay off any outstanding balances interest-free will be extended to August 31, 2020. This means, if you have to pay a balance, or you have a balance outstanding between now and August 31, 2020, you will not have to pay it until after September 1, 2020. No interest will accumulate during this time.
- Any federal benefits you are currently receiving will not be interrupted.
- The Canada Revenue Agency is adapting its Outreach Program to support individuals during COVID-19.
- Individuals with low or fixed-income will be eligible for the 'File My Return' program: a free service for the 2019 tax‑filing season. For more information, click here, or call the CRA’s individual tax enquiries line at 1.800.959.8281.