June 15 is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD)
Posted on June 15 2022
At Sage, we have spent Seniors’ Week celebrating the strength, resilience, and contributions of seniors in our community. And while we celebrate the strength of seniors, we must also shine a light on the ways in which they might also be vulnerable.
We, as a community, benefit from the contributions of older adults, and we, as a community must also use our voice to protect them.
June 15 is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) which is an opportunity to create a national conversation around elder abuse prevention and what each of us can do to uphold and protect the rights of seniors in our communities.
Here are some things you can do to join the conversation and help raise awareness about elder abuse:
- Wear purple to show your support!
- Register for the National Virtual WEAAD Event, “Rights Don’t Get Old: Let’s Spark Social Change” on June 15 from 11:00am – 12:30pm MDT for a national conversation around elder abuse prevention: https://bit.ly/3OhHmQJ
- Take the “Elder Abuse Prevention Champion” pledge to signal your commitment to the cause. Check off the actions you plan to take this year to defend the rights of older people in your community and join thousands of others across the country taking a stand for seniors: https://www.weaad.ca/#Pledge
- Promote Elder Abuse Awareness online using the hashtags:
- Support the Sage Seniors Safe House.
- Share a picture of the High Level Bridge which will be lit in purple for the day.
- Reach out to older adults in your community. If you or someone you know is at immediate risk or harm, call 911. If you are concerned that someone you know is experiencing abuse, call the Family Violence Information Line at 310.1818 or visit albertaelderabuse.ca to find a resource in your area.