October 2021: The Sage building remains closed due to the Covid pandemic. Therefore, in - person volunteer positions are not available at this time. Please see below for Virtual or Remote volunteer opportunities.
CURRENT Virtual or Remote Volunteer Opportunities:
1. FRIENDLY CHECK IN CALLER:
Friendly callers are needed to reach seniors in the community who are feeling isolated and who may not be connected in the community. The pandemic has magnified the issues of isolation and loneliness for seniors. Sages mission is to support seniors to be the best that they can be and this role assists in fulfilling that mission. Callers will connect with seniors to have a conversation, develop a rapport and support them in making further connections.
To increase seniors’ social connections through scheduled phone calls to participants.
Time Requirement: - approximately 2-3 hours a week
Location of Position: Volunteer's home
Qualifications and skills for position:
- Warm and friendly demeanor
- Comfortable with making phone calls and chatting with seniors on the phone
- Excellent active listening skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Non judgmental and empathetic
- Ability to work in Word document
- Ability or willingness to learn how to join virtual Zoom training sessions
- Comfortable working with people of different socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and ethnic backgrounds
- Interest in supporting seniors in the community
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in the community
Position duties and responsibilities:
- Have access to a phone, either land line or cell phone
- Provide friendly phone calls to a roster of participants who have requested regular check-ins
- Have access to a computer and to the internet
- Record data from scheduled calls on tracking sheets in Word document format and Email weekly to Call Coordinator
- Provide information to programs that may help increase health and wellbeing
If you are interested or would like to learn more about this valuable volunteer role, please contact Barb Carroll, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 780-701-9014 and leave a message.
2. LIFE ENRICHMENT ZOOM PROGRAM HOST (tech support)
Time Commitment: Varies. Preferably a commitment to at least one weekly or regularly occurring Zoom Life Enrichment Program for 3-6months.
Location of Position: Volunteer's home (or Sage if the volunteer prefers)
Qualifications and skills required:
- access to a computer and internet
- have knowledge of Zoom and are comfortable operating Zoom
- strong communication skills or participant
- ability to problem solve if there are technical difficulties or the need to help a leader
- reliable and punctual
Technical Support Volunteer duties and Responsibilities:
- There will be one technical support volunteer/staff in each Life Enrichment Zoom session.
- This person would:- work with the program leader/instructor to set up the program (for example spotlight the instructor, help them to share computer sound, feedback on camera angles)- they would be available to help provide any basic troubleshooting support for individuals in the session. They would be the first to identify issues and would then assess what they can do to help.
- - admit participants, mute participants if necessary, remove participants if necessary
- - open/close the zoom meeting
- This volunteer will also keep track of attendance at the session and send the attendance to the Life Enrichment manager
If you are interested or would like to learn more about this volunteer role, please contact Barb Carroll, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or call 780-701-9014 and leave a message.
When Sage re-opens, we will be recruiting for the below in-person volunteer opportunities:
- Sunshine Cafe Cashier: shifts available Monday - Friday - 9am - 2pm
- Sunshine Cafe Host: shifts available Monday - Friday -- 10am - 2pm
- Food Services Assistant: food prep---- shifts available Monday - Friday 9am-- 1pm
- Receptionist: various shifts available Monday - Friday
- Bridge Group Lead Coordinate and organize bridge ,materials and players.
- Karaoke Assistant
- Sage Ambassador: Do you enjoy chatting and engaging with people? This role greets seniors at Sage so they feel welcome and included. Share information and connect seniors to Sage programs and services. Contribute to our vision, reflect the diversity of seniors and reduce seniors' social isolation.
- Cards and Games Leaders: Do you have a passion for a board or card game? Why not start a group at Sage!
Process to become a volunteer at Sage:
- Click "HERE" to fill out our Volunteer Application Form and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Volunteer Coordinator at 780-701-9014 or come into Sage to complete the application form.
- If a position is available that suits your skills and talents, we will contact you.
- Reference check and work histories are verified.
- Select volunteer positions require a Police Information Check (free for volunteers and processed by Sage).
- Volunteer orientation: provides an overview of the services and activities offered by Sage.
- Work shifts will be set up by your volunteer supervisor. Most positions use the buddy system - pairing an experienced volunteer with a newer volunteer.