"This Full House has helped me to de-clutter my dwelling, by providing me with motivation and assistance to get rid of surplus things."
Some people save things to the point that they become overwhelmed. They collect so much stuff that they don't know where to start with cleaning out and clearing out. Sage's This Full House program provides support to individuals aged 55 and over who struggle with compulsive hoarding behaviour.
Houses full of saved items may result in falls and injury, loss of friends, isolation and emotional distress. Sometimes there is a risk of mould, infestation, fire or eviction. This Full House addresses the impact on the person who is dealing with too much clutter. Everyone is different and This Full House provides support based on each person’s unique needs.
1. Referral to the program: Seniors can call the program for themselves, or may be referred by family, friends, neighbours, or professionals. Fill out our Referral Form or call 587-773-1764.
2. Assessment: This Full House staff will assess the situation and identify safety issues. They will also provide other information and resources that may be helpful.
3. Develop an Action Plan: The senior works with the social worker to set goals, timelines, a starting place, and other support that could help with the clutter (such as finances, help with the landlord if you are being evicted, find alternative housing if you have been evicted, etc.). Part of the action plan includes a vision of how you want to work and live in your home. You may want to reduce the amount of clutter you have or re-organize things for better access, mobility and safety. The goal is not to remove all of your things, but make your home a safer and more useful living space.
4. Check-in: Staff will check in on your progress and provide ongoing support.
5. This Full House Lunch Group: You will be encouraged to participate in this monthly lunch group to meet with other seniors who are in the program. This is a great opportunity to learn tips and strategies to keep your home organized and provide support to others in similar situations. Please call Colleen Derksen at 780-701-9005 if you would like more information or are interested in joining this monthly lunch group.
6. This Full House Therapeutic Support Group: Follows the Buried in Treasures curriculum. Sessions will include information around exploring the reasons behind hoarding disorder and acquiring behaviours, as well as developing strategies to address both these challenges. Ten sessions held every second week beginning October 2022. Registration required. Please call Colleen Derksen at 780-701-9005 if interested.
For more information or to refer someone to This Full House, please call 587-773-1764.
You may also be interested in our Resources page for articles and other resources.
Sage is proud to be a member of the Hoarding Coalition.